Saturday, June 7, 2008

Why I'm Here

Many people have asked me why I am doing this race. Why take one rider (me), put him on a bike for 22 hours a day for 9 or 10 days, fighting weather and terrain, to get from one ocean to the next?

There are many answers to this question, of which I'll give you a few. I'm doing this race because I believe in the power of the human spirit to work against adversity and work for progress. For whatever reason, and no I don't believe in destiny, I was given the gift to ride my bike for gross amounts of miles and still feel good enough to get up the next day and do it all over again. My life, from birth, has been filled with moments where I was told that I can't do something. Those of you who know me well know that I had severe asthma growing up and lived a life of seclusion from other kids who were able to get out and enjoy the heat, enjoy the humidity and really find themselves out on the playground, on the field, on the courts, etc. My life now is one of inclusion, rather than exclusion, a life filled with virility, purpose and determination. When someone asks me how I can do this race, my gut reaction, from every cell, is, how can I not do this race? How can I not line up tomorrow at noon, turn over that first pedal and ride my way into the books? How can I not raise money for Camp Odayin and provide the quintessential summer camp experience for kids who are struggling with health issues in a manner similar to what I experienced? How can I not answer the call, step to the plate and all of those other cliches, and do everything in my sane and insane mind to get to Annapolis? How?

The journey to the Race Across America started many moons before I got to Oceanside this year. The incredible work of Bernie, Greg, Neil, myself, Bill and all of our family and friends laid the groundwork for what is about to transpire and perspire. I am forever indebted to these fine individuals and, despite our distance, count them as brothers. Standing in Lake Henshaw, CA last year, waiting for my first turn in the relay, my heart pumping, literally a buzz in my ears, I knew that I had discovered a special and very necessary purpose in life. Riding four-abreast into Atlantic City with my compatriots, onto the boardwalk in Atlantic City, I was hungry for more.

So...the purpose and true reason for lining up tomorrow is this: I am putting my life and heart on the line so that others might live and prosper. THIS IS MY CALLING. THIS IS TEAM STRONG HEART.

Signing off for now.

Yours,

Tim Case
Solo Racer
Team Strong Heart

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck!!!!!!!!
I'm sitting by the Mississippi river in Memphis in the heat and humidity you're about to ride through. While I don't envy you there, you're doing a great thing. !!!!!!!

jorgehuevo said...

very inspirational article tim

good luck in youre journey, and hope to see you by minnesota soon


jorge

wordmonkey said...

Tim's support crew is updating Yellow Scene Magazine on his progress each day throughout the race.
—Jacob Harkins
Yellow Scene Magazine

wordmonkey said...

Follow Tim's progress on his RAAM solo ride. His team is updating Yellow Scene Magazine each day. Check out Day 2: Back from the Dead

wordmonkey said...

Check out Tim's update from Day 3 of the RAAM.

wordmonkey said...

Tim is chugging along during Day 4 of the race.

Anonymous said...

Tim
Hang in there! We have great faith in your strength and ability to finish this race - your strong days are ahead. Keep your focus on the prize. We are all here pulling for you
Larry, Pam and everyone at Trailhead

wordmonkey said...

Tim Case's crew is rested for once. Here's a complete update on the last few days. Day 6: What a wild ride it has been

wordmonkey said...

Day 7—Tim keeps getting stronger.

wordmonkey said...

Day 8 -- Tim is about to get a big surprise.

Anonymous said...

Ride ...Tim... Ride

We are all cheering for you here at Optimal Fire Protection, Aurora IL

Best of Luck!

wordmonkey said...

This is probably the last update while Tim is still riding. He is less than a day from the finish.

wordmonkey said...

Tim is doing so well, his team gave us a Day 11 1/2 update.

wordmonkey said...

Tim has finished!!! He is fast asleep right now, but his team checked in with us to catch up on the final moments of this race.