Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Breakthrough Ride


Howdy from snowy Colorado,

Just a quick update for y'all regarding training for the RAAM, etc. Last Monday I hit my first hundred mile ride (113 miles to be exact), doing a great loop from Lafayette to Estes Park and back... To the uninitiated, this is a very scenic and very challenging loop with about 7000 feet of climbing and some pretty amazing stretches of road.

I was pretty nervous about the whole experience, testing out the legs, back, neck, etc. and putting my coaches theories and training plan to the test. Thanks to Eric Kenney for continuing advice and guidance on what's about to transpire in June. I've been getting itchy for longer rides, but Eric has kept me on a steady uptick in training. Patience, my boy.

Coming back through Boulder after the first 99 miles, I hit a stretch with a bunch of riders trying to make like a pro, if not ride like a pro. If they only knew.
These freddies hang on your wheel, take your draft and then blow past you like you're yesterday's news. I'm todays news dammit!

The friendly wave and smile from a rider coming up the other way on the road is worth its weight in gold, especially when the ride starts approaching triple digits. One of the things I really dig about Team Strong Heart is that we have always been and always will be a group of riders and supporters who believe in the smile and the wave, believe that the grass is green right here, right now, and believe that a bunch of "ordinary," everyday sort of riders and racers can make a real difference.

I'm up at 10k feet at my house right now, sitting under 5 inches of snow and counting, but my mind and legs and heart are moving towards the start line in Oceanside on June 8th...

See you at the party on the 27th in Boulder, CO...

TC

1 comment:

Mike T Nelson said...

Thanks for all the updates Tim! Nice photos! You will be all set for the RAAM!
Rock on
Mike N