Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Food, Gas, Lodging


Hi all,

Got back late last night from my "epic" motorcycle ride, from my home on Mt. Evans to my parents home out in the Chicago area. My butt and knees are sore, but I'm generally none the worse for wear. Not sure how I stayed on the switchbacks up to my house late last night, but I'm here and that's what counts.

The road is an interesting place to be, especially by motor vehicle. I think that we cyclists are lucky, in that we get to see the back roads and the less beaten path when we get on our bikes. Those two pedaled wheels take us places that the truck driver and the college aged road tripper only has a vague notion of. My motorcycle only has a 3.5 gallon tank, so I had to stop every 130 miles or so and fill up on petrol. The rest stops and gas'n gos of America are a swarthy point on the endless roadmap of America.

------------

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well for the 2008 Race Across America. Team Strong Heart is a growing organism full of life and vitality. Look for some wildly exciting events and opportunities in the upcoming months.

I'm placing a call out for volunteers for my crew for next year, so if you'd like to help out, drop me a line. I promise the race will hurt me more than it will hurt you. ;)

------------

When I was out in Chicago I had the opportunity to go watch the US Pro Criterium Championships in Downers Grove. The course was rain-slicked and there were crashes on every corner. Heck, I even saw an uphill crash. Brings back memories of corner number 7. An excellent recap of the race can be found on the Cyclingnews website. Of note, a 20 year old from VMG Cycling (yes, THAT VMG) won the Elite race on Saturday night after a vicious crash in, yep, corner 7.

--------------

So, I'm off for a ride now...should be interesting...haven't touched a pedal bike in 6 days...

Keep the rubber side down...

TC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim--Congrats on your decision to go solo for the 2008 RAAM and the purchase of your new home!! This cycling season has gone by too fast. Feel free to email me any time to chat madonna_lindgren@hotmail.com. Talk to you soon!

~Madonna