Wednesday, June 10, 2009

11th Hour


'Twas the night before RAAM and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for Andy Claflin.

Not sure where I got the reputation as the "enforcer" on Team Strong Heart, but I'll happily oblige. I'm having a very easy time these days getting ready for RAAM. No, I'm not bragging, it just seems like the miles have come on fairly easy, with a fairly low level of stress. I think I'm in the mode, from about now until June 20, where my energy and attention begins to focus, forming around the task at hand.

Last year at this time I was racing my bike across the country solo and my biggest concern was figuring out how I lost so much damned weight in the first 50 miles of the race (5 pounds) and how in the heck I got to Flagstaff, Arizona on a bicycle. This year won't be much different, although I'm hoping and praying that my ugly, festering friends (saddle sores, not you Andy), don't make a repeat appearance on my firm, white behind.

What a difference a year makes. Yeah, I'm psyched to be racing across the country again with Team Strong Heart. We have assembled, yet again(!), an amazing group of racers, crew and supporters, who have answered the call and have committed to what could quite possibly be the most insane and incredible sporting event ever devised. Cruel and inhumane were frequented words last year. This year it's all about the speed, the comradery and the sheer force of will that will power all of us from sea to shining sea. But I digress.

As each of us narrows out the last few days before jumping into the RAAM pressure cooker, take some time to get out and enjoy a ride before you enjoy riding at 3am in the mountains (yes they are mountains!) of Virginia, or enjoy speeding west to east through Kansas (a very large state indeed).

The Race Across America is an odyssey and adventure with no peer. It is unique, challenging and exposes pretenders from the very outset.

At the 11th hour take heed of what we are about the engage in and understand that the person you know leaving for Oceanside, or leaving from Oceanside, will NOT be the person you find in Annapolis, or back in CO or MN.

See you at the start line.

TC

1 comment:

Home Skillet said...

well said my friend...well said.