Thursday, October 11, 2007

Crash and Freeze



I'm sore. Nope, not sore from an "epic" bike ride out in the ever-colder mountains of Colorado. No, I'm sore today because a couple of nights ago I crashed my motorcycle. Yeah, I'm the guy that rides his motorcycle until the snow and ice starts showing up on the ground. Actually, that's already sort of started out here, but not enough to keep me of the motorbike.

I was about a half mile from my house, riding home in the chilled mountain air when a huge buck jumped out in front of me. Mind you, I've had this sort of thing happen before and yes, it is freakin' scary when some unknowing creature crosses its path with an unknowing human on his bike. Usually it's just an affair forged out of letting up on the throttle and sort of dancing around the deer or elk or coon, or whatever. This time, though, I was on the dirt/gravel road near my house and so my reaction, whatever that was (I can't exactly remember what happened), sent me and bike sliding across the road. I ended up in the ditch after slamming my head, shoulder and knee into the ground. By grace, I was wearing all of my protective gear, save the riding pants I bought a while ago.

So...long story short, I got home in the dark of night, my shoulder is really sore, even today, my right knee is swollen but going down and my neck is getting better.

With that in mind, I've been taking it easy from working out. Yesterday I played basketball with some co-workers and took them to school, especially in the paint. Bottom line is, don't let the gimp get ahead of you because he will get the points at the basket. I tried jumping on the bike after b-ball, but my knee was telling me not to for very long so I went home...

Headed to the Race Across America Fall Festival tomorrow, hosted by the gracious folks at the RAAM organization. As you may have noticed, Team Strong Heart has made a HUGE impact on the RAAM organization and we have a ton of momentum headed into next year's event. I'll get y'all an update on the partay tomorrow, etc.

Keep the rubber side, pedal and motorized, down...

TC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you all right?

Neil