Monday, July 30, 2007

Bike 'Er


I'm still laying low from work...the docs from the city still won't let me come back to work, broken foot, but that hasn't kept me off the bike.

Today's the first day in a while sans "Le Tour," and I was supposed to be taking a rest day after having ridden almost 300 miles on the road bike in the past three days. Actually, since being cleared to ride from my doc about ten days ago, I haven't ridden less than 60 miles in a day (I'm not doing the math, math makes me tired). Instead of resting today, I went on a mountain bike ride up in Nederland with a couple of friends from work. We road up some steep fire roads and eventually found the "secret path" that one of my more annoying friends had been "leading" us to for several thousand feet of climbing (maybe an exaggeration).

Along the way we found: a partial jaw bone and teeth from some unknown animal, a wild tundra with flowers that resembled a Monet painting, trees that attacked our progress unexpectedly and yes, we eventually found the "secret path." We got rained on on the way back to town, ran into some honkeys in a really nice Toyota 4x4 (save money on the dental plan, buy a nice truck), talked about work and relationships and how you know when you've found "it," etc., etc.

Dropped back into town via Boulder Canyon, got some T-Bell and went over to Amante to write this and finish a great book I've been digesting, 1491 by Charles Mann.

I got into this sport as a mountain biker and by golly, it's great to get back to it every now and again.

Just read that Iban Mayo tested positive for EPO.

www.doperssuck.com

No comments: