Friday, November 14, 2008

What Happens In Vegas


So...I went to Las Vegas last week with some friends to pretty much undo the past ten years of bicycle training. Mission accomplished! A few more days of partying until dawn and I do believe that I would have died, with a smile on my face of course.

The first day out there we renamed Vegas "Awesome Town." If you've never been I suggest you get in your car right now and head over there. Okay, so it is a town of gluttony, debauchery and carousing, but that is what makes the place so special! I'll just leave it at that.

The last day I was out there (I stayed a day later than my friends to get a cheaper flight), I met up with Team Strong Heart coach Eric Kenney of EK Endurance Coaching. He had just completed what is termed the "world's toughest triathlon" out in Henderson, Nevada. Eric smoked the half triathlon, coming in 4th overall as an amateur out of something like 800 competitors, and I got to go to his awards ceremony the day I was traveling back to CO. The full version of the Silverman Triathlon features about 10k of climbing on the bike and super hilly terrain for the run. During the race the athletes were treated to a full compliment of weather from nature, including three foot swells out on Lake Mead during the swim. Competitive finishing times for the full version were around 13 hours. Yikes!

I'm debating about racing this weekend on my cx bike. My lungs still feel as if I was stuck in a coal mine out in Vegas (where everyone smokes) and I'm just not feeling combat effective quite yet. Back to the grindstone I go...

Keep the rubber side pointed towards the ground.

Tim


No comments: