Monday, February 11, 2008

Roll Up


I've been watching the temps in Minnesota drop, or stay dropped and not missing that at all. Life in CO is good, with snow days up in the mountains (check out the snow levels at Wolf Creek, 150 inch base???), warm days in the front range, but man the wind is a nasty little thing that I wasn't really warned about before I moved out here. It is viciously windy out here in the early spring as if we're getting kicked in the shorts one more time before summer roles around.

Kudos to all who are answering the call for donations, sponsorships, interviews, etc. We have an amazing thing going with Team Strong Heart and my little heart goes pitter-patter whenever I think about June.

I'm headed to California this Friday for a 10 day spring training camp for my Boulder team, Horizon Organic Cycling Team. As usual, this time of year we really put some thought into how much time we're on the bike and how much time we're digging around in the fridge. I think our bodies still want the winter poundage, but our minds are looking at that first race and wondering how the heck we'll get through.

Somehow we manage. I vividly remember those early season races in Minnesota, with the wind, the rain and sometimes the snow. One year I came in 10th place down near Rochester, MN because I was the 10th rider to finish. Half the field literally dropped out after the first lap because it was damned cold and sleeting. Yikes!

Pushing through the stress of trying to get ourselves, our sponsors, our crew and everyone in our lives across America will be worth it when we get to that last time station in Maryland and see the Atlantic inlet in the distance. What we do now will determine how we do later, whether it's our first race of the season or that pernicious little race called the Race Across America in June.

I really wouldn't want it any other way... You?

TC
---------------------

Humphrey Bogart: A man takes a drop too much once in a while, it's only human nature.
Katharine Hepburn: Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put into this world to rise above.

THE AFRICAN QUEEN, 1951

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a song the other day that made me think of you...was wondering what you were up to. (Isn't it scary what you can do with the internet!)I'm so impressed with where life has taken you but at the same time, I'm not suprised. I sit here remembering the hours you spent pouring over catalogs in college, plotting over how to finance upgrades your bike.

If you figure out who this is, give me a call sometime. It would be good to hear from you.

signed,
Freezing her butt off in MN

Mike T Nelson said...

Just found your blog! Nice work! Go TSH!!!
Nice new ink it looks like on the arm--sweet!
Glad all is well and keep in touch!
I will link your blog to mine soon.
Rock on
Mike N

Anonymous said...

Hey - TC here...who left this comment? Drop me a line... tim@timcase.net